Wednesday, December 14, 2016
More than 90 community leaders joined the MPS Foundation Board of Directors and staff for an annual meeting on November 28, 2016, held as part of the launch campaign for the newly revived MPS Foundation.
"We see the opportunity to support those offerings that inspire young people to learn," John Kersey, chairman of the Foundation’s Board of Directors said. "The future of our community depends on the success of MPS—we are committed to showing students, teachers, and administrators that we care and are here to help."
Over the past year, the MPS Foundation has provided support for a number of projects:
- Turnaround Arts, an initiative of the President’s Council on Arts and Humanities to infuse high-need schools with arts as a strategy to help close the achievement gap;
- Learning Journeys, high-quality, hands-on educational events provided at no cost to all MPS students in six different grade levels;
- ProStart Culinary Arts, a two-year culinary program offering high schools students hands-on training in the culinary and hospitality fields;
- Ann Shanksy Classroom Innovation Grants, a mini-grant program that supports teacher-led efforts to bring new, research-based teaching methods into our classrooms;
- And the MPS Foundation’s extensive scholarship program, offering nine scholarship opportunities to MPS graduates. In 2016, the program awarded over $40,000 to support MPS students as they earn their college degrees.
The Annual Meeting was well-received by attendees. Jeannie Fenceroy of the Greater Milwaukee Foundation, commented, "I must commend you … on the wonderful MPS Foundation Annual Meeting. It was informative and creative to have us on the stage of the Riverside Theater. Well done. The evening was really inspirational."
To see pictures from the Annual Meeting, visit our Facebook page or the Milwaukee Business Journal's website.
See media coverage from the MPS Foundation’s launch campaign:
The launch campaign was also covered by CBS58 and 620WTMJ-AM.
To make a gift to help support the MPS Foundation, please click the 'Donate' tab at the top of the page.
Photo: Executive Director Ann M. Terrell speaks at the MPS Foundation's Annual Meeting.